Phonetics and Phonology: Assignment 1 Sample Solution

 Phonetics and Phonology: Assignment 1 Sample Solution

 


I have chosen the following 10 English words that contain sounds that I find challenging to pronounce correctly:

  1. Synthesize
  2. Wristwatch
  3. Rural
  4. Squirrel
  5. Anemone
  6. Entrepreneur
  7. Meringue
  8. Worcestershire
  9. Rendezvous
  10. Hierarchy

Using the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), I transcribe each word as follows:

  1. Synthesize: /ˈsɪnθəsaɪz/
  2. Wristwatch: /ˈrɪstwɒtʃ/
  3. Rural: /ˈrʊərəl/
  4. Squirrel: /ˈskwɜːrəl/
  5. Anemone: /əˈnɛməni/
  6. Entrepreneur: /ˌɒntrəprəˈnɜːr/
  7. Meringue: /məˈræŋ/
  8. Worcestershire: /ˈwʊstəʃər/
  9. Rendezvous: /ˈrɒndɪvuː/
  10. Hierarchy: /ˈhaɪərɑːki/

I then recorded myself pronouncing each word, focusing on the sounds that I found challenging. I listened to my recordings carefully and compared them to the correct pronunciation using online resources and a reliable reference book.

After identifying areas where I could improve my pronunciation, I planned to practice these sounds. For example, I practised pronouncing minimal pairs, demonstrating the difference between voiced and voiceless consonant sounds.

I practised my pronunciation regularly, using targeted exercises and resources to improve my skills. I also worked with a language partner to get feedback on my pronunciation and to practice speaking in a supportive environment.

After a few weeks of practice, I recorded myself again and compared my new recordings to my original recordings. I evaluated my progress and identified areas where I could continue to improve.

Overall, this assignment helped me improve my pronunciation skills and better understand how to use the International Phonetic Alphabet to transcribe English words.

Related Links


Post a Comment

0 Comments